Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Today is my second day at work since the surgery. I’m feeling pretty good just EXTREMELY sore. Up until yesterday I hadn’t really worn a bra and unfortunately now I have one rubbing against one of my incisions for 8 hrs a day.  I need to start taking Motrin or Tylenol for the pain. They gave me Percocet but I hate the way it makes me feel. I get all itchy and if I take more than one pill I fall asleep super fast.

Tomorrow I’m going back to school maybe. I might wait until The 6th.  I went on Monday night but only lasted an hour before my teacher sent me home because I was sweating all over the place and just looked and felt out right miserable.

The operation went really well. I went in at 7:30 for a 9 surgery and left at 2.  I was there a bit longer than expected because the first time they woke me up I started screaming about how much pain I was in. SO they put me back under for a bit. Whoops. The second time they woke me up I came out in full panic attack mode. I did nothing but scream over and over for E until they realized she’d brought me and went to get her from the waiting room. I totally don’t remember Tuesday.  Wednesday my sister and her husband came out to stay the night and visit. I vaguely remember toast and applesauce and busting on my sister because she didn’t cut my toast “correctly”. Thursday I started feeling pretty good and E and I went to Chick Fil A. I had a plain grilled chicken sandwich with some water and was completely full but I felt good.  Later that night I went a little wild and had a grilled southwest salad from McDonald’s. It took me almost 30 minutes to eat it but it stayed down and didn’t bother my stomach at all.

I haven’t had red meat or anything besides chicken or turkey since before my surgery. Sunday I stepped on the scale and was shocked. I’d lost 4 lbs.  I expect some of it to come back once I’m eating regularly but probably not much since my eating has completely changed.

The main thing I was worried about other than getting a horrible infection or bleeding to death after surgery was how my weight was going to be. I looked online and immediately became terrified at what I saw.  Boards and boards of people complaining about how AFTER surgery they gained weight, and I don’t mean a little bit. People were talking about how they gained 70 pounds. These people were saying how fit they were BEFORE the surgery and how keeping their exercise and eating habits in check they were STILL gaining weight.

Now I understand that for some people that might actually be true but after looking at actually medical research instead of people complaining on the internet I started to feel better. Everything medicially says that most people will LOSE WEIGHT because you have to drastically change your eating habits. Lowfat, healthy food. Fiber rich veggies and fruits need to become the staples. It also said that most people who experience weight gain is because they’re able to eat the foods they weren’t able to before, i.e. fatty foods because they’re not having any pain.

Monday I was so tired and so sore from going to school that I flew through the
drive-thru at BK and got a original chicken sandwich meal.

It didn’t upset my stomach but the next morning I realized something.

I had surgery to remove what my doctor called an abnormal gallbladder. It had leak and had started to fuse itself to fat around it. *Thank god I’m fat because another girl I know had hers fuse to her liver, but that’s besides the point*

Gallbladder surgery is one of the most common surgeries done but that doesn’t make it ok to shovel food in my face because I’m tired.

I had to have this surgery because of a lifetime of horrid easting habits. I let myself get to almost 300 lbs. I lost 90 lbs. 4 years ago but then I started yo-yoing, which I’m pretty sure caused the demise of my gallbladder.

I was doing pretty good before the surgery but not as good as I should have been. But I’ve gotten the wake up call from my body and I’m listening to it now. From this moment forward I will never again put my body and wellbeing in danger just for a damned hamburger. 

No comments: